We’ve decided to call the new live CD Life’s A Song – Live Volume One. We mastered it Friday, and the music is ready to go. Details like cover art and manufacturing are still in the works, but there’s no point fooling around. We’re looking at releasing this CD in just a few weeks. If you preorder now, we’ll send you a personalized copy fresh off the press, autographed by everybody in the band.
For this collection we recorded shows at three of our favorite venues: Papa Mojo’s Roadhouse in Durham, North Carolina, November 17; Eddie’s Attic in Decatur, Georgia, December 15; and the Bradfordville Blues Club in Tallahassee, Florida, December 21. Here’s the song list:
1. Hell Bound Train (Papa Mojo’s)
2. Black Cat Oil – (Papa Mojo’s)
3. Lonely (Papa Mojo’s)
4. Get Gone (Eddie’s Attic)
5. Black Coffee (Papa Mojo’s)
6. You Got to Move (Papa Mojo’s)
7. Goin’ Down South (Eddie’s Attic)
8. I’m a Witness (Papa Mojo’s)
9. Clear Blue Flame (Papa Mojo’s)
10. Stuck in Carolina (Eddie’s Attic)
11. Life’s a Song (Bradfordville Blues Club)
12. Blind Spot (Bradfordville Blues Club)
13. Lap Dog (Bradfordville Blues Club)
14. Shake Your Hips (Papa Mojo’s)
Our friend Mel Melton, proprietor of Papa Mojo’s Roadhouse, is not only an excellent Cajun chef but also a terrific harmonica player. He has played with Sonny Landreth and Clifton, Cleveland and C.J. Chenier and is cowriter of Sonny’s signature song “Congo Square”. Mel sat in with us for a couple songs on this album: “Black Coffee” and “Shake Your Hips”.
Want a taste? Here’s a free download of “Shake ‘Em On Down” with Mel sitting in on harp:[soundcloud url=”http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/78653927″ params=”” width=” 100%” height=”166″ iframe=”true” /]
The photo at top was taken by Peggy Adair at the Bradfordville Blues Club. The live SoundCloud photo and the four individual portraits below were shot at Papa Mojo’s Roadhouse by Steven Whitsitt. And we’ll finish with one I snapped on my phone Friday of Chris Griffin at Griffin Mastering, when Mark and I finally heard this music the way it will sound on the CD.